Thursday, December 13, 2007

Happy Holi-What?

I love Christmas! I don't like the cold weather, but I love the snow, the smell of Christmas in the house, the cheerful music, and yes, even the presents. Of course we know the story behind Christmas and why we celebrate it, but have we really ever thought about it?

Since yesterday I have been really thinking about this holiday season, and what it really means.
Yesterdays blog I talked about that song, and what it really meant, it was giving a gift worthy for a King. To me the only gift I can give Jesus is myself.

Is it me, or has just about everyone lost their mind? ITS CHRISTMAS!! Merry Christmas!
I think that we have forgotten the true meaning for this celebration, Christs birth.
The story in its entirety is phenomenal. Its not just about a baby being born, there is situations that came about that were dangerous to say the least.

To me, Christmas is more that a birth. I don't think that it started with the birth, it started with Mary & Joseph.
Of course we know that she was a virgin and conceived from the Holy Spirit, but how many times have we thought about what that meant for her? Do we understand that in those days if you were not a virgin at the time of marriage that you could be stoned to death? (Deuteronomy 23:20-21) But, she trusted in God that she would be ok.
Joseph, a carpenter, set to marry Mary, finds out that she is pregnant and being a righteous man, decides to not expose her to the public embarrassment, but to divorce her quietly. But after he decided to do that an angle appeared to him and told him not to be afraid to take Mary home as his wife. Joseph trusted in God that everything would be ok. (Matthew 1:18-25)

Christmas, to me, is about the entire story-His parents, too His death.

The reason for His birth, was the reason for His death. Christmas means so much more to me when I really think about what it was all for. Mary and Joseph sacrificed to have a baby, a baby that was sent to cleanse us from our sins with His death. Think about it....!

Do you really want to say "happy holidays"? I don't! I want to say "Merry Christmas", that is why we celebrate, right? Next time someone says "happy holidays", say "Yes, Merry Christmas to you as well"!!!!

Joseph listened to that angel tell him not to be afraid- if I were Mary or Joseph, in that situation, sorry, but you better believe I'm afraid!!

Lets not be afraid to gently remind ourselves and others that it is Christmas!!



1 comment:

STEPHANIE. said...

It is so true, that the reason we celebrate Christmas is because of Easter. There would be no reason to celebrate His birth if it wasn't for His death. Very nice,thanks Sarah I have had a few road blocks this year with getting in the Christmas spirit, this was really encouraging. I cant wait for Creative Christmas tonight!:)