Thursday, December 27, 2007

Discipline

Discipline.
Webster defines it like this:
1: punishment
2:obsolete : instruction
3: a field of study
4: training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
5 a: control gained by enforcing obedience or order b: orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c: self-control
6: a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity

My mind gets bombarded with thoughts by that one word. Why is discipline such a problem for me?

I was reading through the bible just a few minutes ago looking for a passage on discipline. I found a few but not one that really stood out to me, so I prayed for God to show me what I was looking for, so I keep searching, and I'm finding all this good scripture and rereading things that I highlighted...and then it was like I hit a wall...STOP! Everything that I was reading, in one way or another, it had to do with discipline.

Our entire life, in most everything we do, discipline is involved. What time we wake up in the morning, 6am to do devotionals or 7am to get some extra shut-eye? Lunch, make and take one or go out for lunch? Go to the gym today or say you'll go tomorrow (I'm guilty of that one)? Go to bed early so you can wake up early to do devotionals or stay up and watch Leno?
Its all about discipline.

If I cant discipline myself from...myself, then how in the world am I supposed to learn discipline from God? I am also guilty of feeling (#1), punishment. I remember when I was a kid when I got punished I wanted to rebel. Well, even though I don't get disciplined by my parents here, I know that my Heavenly Father is still disciplining me, and I still feel like rebelling.
I have however come along way, I only feel rebellious when it is the "big" things, but none-the-less, it is still rebelling.

Hebrews 12:7-11 tells us to 'Endure hardship as discipline;God is treating you as sons.For what son is not disciplined by his father?'v.7. '...God disciplines us for our good' v.10. 'No discipline seems pleasant at the time,but painful.'v.11.

And the truth in all of that is, what parent doesn't discipline their children? Why do parents discipline their children? And is discipline ever pleasant?
God is our Heavenly Father, bottom line. He knows what is best for us. When was the last time I knew what was best for myself? Never! I know what I want and what will make me happy right now, but never once have I known what is best for me. I am the one who sleeps in instead of doing devotional, I go out for lunch, I say I'm going to the gym tomorrow and I always stay up late to watch TV. 26 years old and still have no clue what is best for me. But...I am beginning to accept that God does in fact know what is best for Sarah, as much as I want to rebel, He knows. I am learning to discipline myself from myself, and listening to Gods discipline over me.

I think about my own children. How they are innocent, how they say and do things that just don't make any sense. Sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes I get frustrated. Sometimes I let them go on ahead with what they are doing so that they can find out the outcome, whether it be good or bad. I discipline them, even when I know that they don't understand right now why I am. I discipline them even though they throw a huge fit, kicking and screaming the whole way to their room, and even when it might have been easier to just ignore it happened.
I love my boys more than life itself, that is why I do it all. I am far from perfect and even though I love them more than I can put in words, my love is not perfect either.
But think about God. He is perfect, with perfect love for each one of us. Think about the most imperfect human loving enough to discipline their children, how much more love does God have for His! He really does love us enough to be patient when we kick and scream all the way to our rooms, and even though we don't understand right now, and even when it might have been easier to ignore it. His discipline doesn't stop when we turn 18 either! That is how much he loves us...to never stop.

Heavenly Father Thank You!
Thank You for never stopping on me,
Thank You for loving me enough to discipline me,
Help me please to remember everyday that Your discipline is out of love for me,
Help me not to rebel against Your guidance and remind me that You know best.
In Your Sons precious name I pray,
Amen

No comments: